laurierobey: (Default)
[personal profile] laurierobey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1iZDEk4qBQ

The link above goes to an HP Slate preview.

As tablets get more advanced, I'm trying to think of what I would need a desktop for. Webcam? Included. Headphone jack? Included. Data input ports? Included. About the only thing my desktop has that this doesn't is a CD drive. Time to start converting all our DVDs and CDs!

Of course, it is very "cloud dependent." They've still got a ways to go, but by the time this desktop computer dies, I might not need to buy another one, just a tablet. Wouldn't that be sweet?

Date: 2010-09-25 12:21 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] kamau-d-lyon.livejournal.com
I've not been very impressed with any of the tablet computers I've seen and this one is no exception. The question I keep asking is "can this do anything more or better than my laptop/netbook?" and the answer keeps coming up no. Touch seen is nice I guess but to me it's just bells and whistles. I like my keyboard as most of what I do is type.

I am also not in favor of the whole "cloud computing" concept. What I keep pointing out to people is that when the net goes down so does everything on the "cloud" We've had an electric grid for how many years now? How often do we still have power outages? Do you want to be cut off from your applications or even worse your data when the web goes down?

For me laptops and hard drive or other "In your hands" storage media is the way to go.

Hope that didn't sound like a rant as I was just really trying to express an opinion.

Date: 2010-09-25 01:39 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] laurie-robey.livejournal.com
No certainly not a rant, just an opinion!

Date: 2010-09-25 01:13 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] camstone.livejournal.com
This is why I (still) like my HP TX2000 series tablet over the iPad or others. Modest size, touch sensitive screen for drawing and photo editing, and good processor speeds. Plus it has a DVD burner and full sized keypad. Down side is the short battery life, and heavier carry weight - but for most things, this is far better than my full sized desk computer or my older 17" laptop. Newer ones have multitouch.

Oh, and DVD drive on USB would be fairly easy to connect, as I suspect would be a keyboard with bluetooth or USB.

But I think the driver would be cost, need for those sorts of features - vice portability, processing power and screen size.

Profile

laurierobey: (Default)
laurierobey

January 2013

S M T W T F S
  1 2 34 5
6 789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

  • Style: Caturday - Orange Tabby for Heads Up by momijizuakmori

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 1st, 2026 08:38 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios